Sunday, May 4, 2008

PLAYLIST TRADITIONS MAY 4, 2008

Due to a technical glitch at WFDU and its computers the playlist will be delayed approx. 1 week. In the meantime please see what was featured and noted on the list that serves the Folk Music Program community and also let me congratulate the winners of the really clever CD from the Capitol Steps and our winners of tickets for The Clearwater (Great Hudson River) Revival this year at Croton Point. There will be more tickets as the weeks progress and we speak of some of the wonderful artists appearing there this year.

Here, now, is, as mentioned a rundown of some of the artists that have new material we featured and, frankly, is brilliant.

On a personal note my sympathy to Abbie Gardner on her loss and for that reason Red Molly was not our guest this week as planned.

JACK WILLIAMS---what can I say besides the word a great mix of interpretations of various genres---Brilliant.

RED MOLLY--I don't want to over use that word---"brilliant" but what else can I say

PAT WICTOR--He and I go back a ways and he has grown in stature that, even on tiptoe, I cannot reach the height he has achieved.GATHERING TIME--A fairly new trio that were my guests a while back and the harmonies and the lyrics are overwhelming

GREG GREENWAY---A powerful presence on a stage and also on a CD. In fact, getting more powerful by the hour.

ROCKY ALVEY-- A new name to me but with a great sound and a real "down home" flavor.

GATHERING TIME----I have to compliment this great trio that appeared on the program a while back---a demo CD with some of the best harmonies in many a moon and great lyrics to go with that.

I was also happy to see that there were requests for the greats of ---as the intro to the Lone Ranger says---"yesteryear" Phil Ochs, my segment on novels or stories in song--Harry Chapin (Richard Berman is in there---and, happily still with us). Also the segment of old 78s from another era and another program (1950s) ---the slogan--the thrills of the hills, the best in the west, and the tops in pops. You can figure out the rest and will see it on the playlists when finally posted.

No comments: