Sunday, February 27, 2011

SUNDAY SIMCHA & TRADITIONS PLAYLISTS UPDATED

My promise that next week the playlists will once again be published.  In the meantime some comments about the last few programs---both TRADITIONS & SUNDAY SIMCHA.

As you are aware SUNDAY SIMCHA was pre-recorded last week and today I was in the studio and was delighted to receive your calls and to briefly chat with some of you.  I also want to thank you for your most generous support of the program---and---YES---we are KEEPING YIDDISHKEIT ON THE AIR AT WFDU.  Which brings me to another story or two.  We are followed by BEATLES 2X4 and I was, very graciously, asked by our Station Manager to stick around and join the program wherein he proceeded to compliment me and the program for the eclectic mix it brings to this station---and also how it broadens our understanding of other cultures.  As he put it (to paraphrase) '...where but WFDU would one find the diversity and programming offered here. I have learned a lot listening to your program (and, frankly, so have I) ".  The support this station receives from the listeners is truly something that warms the cockles of my heart---my Cardioligist has told me that, thanks to WFDU, my cockles are fine.

Now the anecdotes---a caller--not a pledger--for Sunday Simcha requested I play Richie Havens---I pointed out this is not the right program for that---so---how about some Bob Dylan he said.   I pointed out that while he is now Jewish and before that whatever it really is not in our genre.  He seemed a bit annoyed by that so I suggested that if he finds even one song Dylan ever recorded in Yiddish I would play it.  Damned phone really hit the cradle hard when he hung up.

The one I really like is the lady who called to pledge to TRATIDITIONS.  She wanted to pledge $25 if she could get a request honored (she did sound a bit tipsy---but in honesty it may be a bad phone connection). Sure--said I.  She asked for something Celtic like Bonnie Rait doing a Celtic piece which I said I would try to get for her---she then called back again---and again---and again--changing her request to Kate Somebody or Other.  I asked her to hold on since I have other calls---she later called back and got my co-host and told him how I had offended her to which I replied that we were a bit busy---as I recall her last words were---"F--- You".   Oh the joys tipsy listeners---Would only she had requested "The Drunken Sailor".

Now---on a serious note.   Next week, as you may well know, both programs are pre-recorded---all new but pre- recorded because I will be attending my grandson's Bar Mitzvah.   I think you will find both programs, not only interesting, but meaningful.  We will let TRADITIONS be a surprise for you---some great new material and some great nostalgia---and the requests from today will be honored on March 20.

This brings us to SUNDAY SIMCHA for March 20.   I believe that you will find this one of great interest---so, a brief comment as to why.  For some time you know we have played (from time to time) Rabbi Jonathon Kligler's performance of the wonderful Fred Small composition of "Denmark 1943" .  This week you will hear it by the composer after a reading (by me ) of my Grandson's brief Bar Mitzvah speech about his involvment in the organization that supports the Gentile Righteous who helped Jews escape the Nazis---and in this case from Denmark and one particular person.  His picture is below.  He is now 97 years of age and lives in NYC. He was, in his youth, an Olympic Rowing Athlete and participated in famous (or infamous--your choice) 1936 Olympics in Germany.
The song fits in so perfectly and gives an entire history of Danish involvement in fighting, if you will, the Nazis.   I am hoping, shortly, to meet this gentleman and, find out even more. 

I hope you will be joining us this coming Sunday---and YES---there will be a playlist---and NO Dylan is not on it.

No comments: