Saturday, March 3, 2007

Playlist Sunday Simcha March 4, 2007




Sadly, as you know, I did not bring my "Gregger". But I made noise just the same and I hope you did for the most joyous holiday in the Jewish Calendar. Hopefully you also find it that---though I, personally, can think of other events that are even happier and, yet, they are commemorated in a more serious vein. Myself included because of the tradition in news gathering and also on radio/TV presentations.
If you ever are able to see a work by Elizabeth Swados www.lizswados.com it is something not to be missed. From Dispatches, Haggadah to Runaways and all the stops in between.
I had the honor and joy of interviewing her at her home a number of years ago and also having seen all her productions. An aside--that interview was the start of my Tabletalk program.

Hopefully you enjoyed the Purim selections, the music and the humor. So---spin your "gregger" once again and read the playlist that follows:


ARTIST/
PIECE/
ALBUM/
LABEL

MARGOT LEVERETT & THE KLEZMER MTN. BOYS
A Redl & A Volich (Theme)
Margot Leverett & The Klezmer Mtn. Boys
www.margotleverett.com

MARK EDELMAN
Hamentashen
Guns N' Charoses
Chutzpah Music

YIDDISHE CUP
Knish Doctor
Meshugenah Mambo
www.yiddishecup.com

COLLETTE HAWLEY / LAREE TARDASH /ENSEMBLE
Esther Queen Vashti / Esther Invincible /How Can I Endure
Bible Women
www.lizswados.com

JOY KATZEN GUTHRIE
Purim / A Wicked Wicked Man / Ani Purim Elimelach of Gilhofen
Seasons of Joy
www.joyfulnoise.net

LEADBELLY
Mr. Hitler
That's Why We're Marching
www.folkways.si.edu

JAMES DURST
If I Had A Hammer
Internationally Unknown
www.jamesdurst.com

THE KLEZMATICS
I Ain't Afraid
Rise Up !
www.rounder.com

NICHOLS & MAY
Mother & Son
In Retrospect
Polygram Records

FRAIDY KATZ
Vilne
The Eternal Question
www.kamea.com

SEYMOUR REICHTZTEIT
Surrey Mitn Fring Afn Top
Yiddish Radio Project
www.shanachie.com

JASON ROSENBLATT
Mazeltov Dances
Harmonica Galitzianer
www.shtreiml.com

No comments: